Calling all Ceramicists: the Lawrence Arts Center is Seeking a Ceramics Studio Intern!
Our Ceramics studio internship is an unpaid position that offers a unique opportunity to work with our community of accomplished ceramics instructors, staff members, and our annual Ceramics Artist-in-Residence. We are looking for someone who wants to gain additional experience in helping run and maintain an active community ceramics studio. This position includes assistance in portfolio and professional development.
An ideal candidate should have a BFA in ceramics or equivalent experience in the field of ceramics. Applicants must be self-motivated, have strong communication and organizational skills, and work well with others. Also, at times this position is physically demanding and requires them to be able to lift 50lbs of materials.
- 10 hours/week in ceramics studio maintenance which includes but is not limited to:
- Assisting with loading and firing kilns
- Monitoring studio glazes and glaze materials inventory
- Processing reclaim clay
- Assisting with annual woodfire class in the fall
- Assisting with preparing for our annual Souper Bowl Fundraiser
- Assisting with Ceramics Symposium & Pottery Jam
- General ceramics studio maintenance and cleaning
- Coordinate with the Studio Manager and the Director of Residencies and Adult Education to determine priorities and hours for the week.
- One free ceramics class per session (4 sessions per year)
- Studio access 9am to 9pm, 7 days a week
- Free firings, reclaim clay, and use of studio glazes
- A shelving area for storing their work/tools within the communal ceramics studio
Send the following to Kyla Strid, Director of Residencies and Adult Education, via email: email@example.com
- 10 images of your work (jpegs – less than 1 MB each)
- A resume that includes a list of 3 references and their contact info (PDF)
- Letter of Intent outlining relevant experience and interest in this position (PDF, 500 word max.)
- Short Artist Statement (PDF, 500 word max)
Review of the applications begins in August, with an anticipated start date of early September 2019. This internship runs from September 2019, to August 2020 with some flexibility in beginning and end dates.
Please contact Kyla via email with any questions at firstname.lastname@example.org.