Thanks to many private benefactors and the City of Lawrence, the Lawrence Arts Center is able to offer financial assistance to students who would otherwise be unable to enroll in programs.
The Lawrence Arts Center Financial Aid Fund
The Lawrence Arts Center Financial Aid Fund makes it possible for any community member with an interest in taking a class to experience the opportunities we offer. From the arts-based preschool to professional development workshops for artists, we believe that anyone with an interest in the arts should have access to the programs that the Arts Center provides.
Our Financial Aid Fund supports arts education for over 800 individuals each year. Our policy and downloadable forms are below. Please call the Arts Center with questions.
In addition to financial aid we are also able to provide access to scholarships for students at Lawrence Arts Center.
The Douglas County Senior Services Scholarship for the Arts is available to students 50 and older who demonstrate financial need, and is awarded as funds are available. Applicant must supply proof of age and Douglas County residency, as well as a completed financial aid application. Inquire at the front desk, or call 785.843.2787 for more information.
Financial Aid Policy
Priority is given to low-income, first-time students. Financial assistance aid is based on the availability of funds, number of requests, participation history and other factors determined by each program director. This policy outlines the eligibility criteria and application guidelines.
Applicants must meet minimum income criteria outlined below by family size. These income guidelines are based on 130% of the federal poverty guidelines and are inclusive of all household income. The percentage of financial awards will be based on a sliding scale based on income. Income eligibility alone does not guarantee financial assistance, but serves as primary criteria for requesting financial aid.
|Annual Income||1 Person||2 Person||3 Person||4 Person||5 Person||6 Person||7 Person||8 Person|
|130% of Poverty Guidelines||13,273||17,797||22,321||26,845||31,369||35,893||40,417||44,941|
|150%of Poverty Guidelines||15,315||20,535||25,755||30,975||36,195||41,415||46,635||51,855|
|185% of Poverty Guidelines||18,889||25,327||31,7656||38,203||44,641||51,079||57,517||63,955|
- Applicants must complete and turn in both an enrollment form and financial aid form for each request. Applicants must also attach verification of household income from all sources. Financial aid applications cannot be processed without completed forms and all required documentation.
- If the applicant has no income or unique income sources, a brief note explaining your circumstances will be accepted.
- Acceptable forms of income verification include:
- statement of student financial aid
- benefit letters from social security
- statement of benefits from unemployment or welfare agency
- alimony agreement
- most recent tax return
- All information collected will remain confidential
- Requests for financial aid are reviewed by the Financial Aid Committee.
- Arts Center staff will notify applicants of their award amount prior to the start date of the session.
- Some classes are exempt from financial aid assistance, such as private lessons, classes that are co-sponsored, off-site, and special workshops.
- Complete an Enrollment Form and Financial Aid Form for each student, and submit with acceptable Income Verification. Incomplete forms will not be considered.
- Completed financial aid application should be turned in two weeks before the first day of class.
- The Lawrence Arts Center will notify students after all applications have been reviewed.