Proposal submissions are accepted year round, and the Exhibitions Committee reviews proposals two times per year. All proposals must adhere to the following guidelines, and should be mailed to: Lawrence Arts Center, ATTN: Ben Ahlvers, 940 New Hampshire, Lawrence, KS 66044.
- Proposals should be typed with 8.5″ x 11″ format in no less than 10-point font.
- All documents should be included in both paper and electronic form. Acceptable electronic file types include .DOC, .PDF, .JPG, etc.
Proposal Narrative Details
- Narrative should include a suggested title of your exhibition. This title may be amended up to the time it is required for printing the invitation or other promotional material. Include your name, identify yourself as featured artist or curator, specify solo or group exhibition, and, if the latter, include the names of the artist(s).
- Describe the concept or theme of the work.
- For artists only: describe your current work, as well as your proposed work, noting any significant new direction your work will take.
- For independent curators only: demonstrate your capacity to execute the exhibition.
- Provide information about how the work connects to the mission and goals of the Lawrence Arts Center: the Arts Center aims to present contemporary exhibitions and programs that are aesthetically strong, and that provide the community with the opportunity to explore topics of cultural, artistic, and social relevance.
- Identify any special equipment or other requirements you may need that may become an impediment to presenting this proposed exhibition.
- Include details of any supplementary public programs or presentations. We encourage participants to also propose additional artist talks, panel discussions, or workshops geared toward engaging the general public.
- Indicate whether the accompanying images (CD or slide image list) are images you are proposing for exhibition, or are representative images only.
Please Submit the Following with Artist/Curator Application
- completed submission form.
- a resume (no more than three pages) that includes your art education, exhibitions, awards, and bibliography. For curated exhibitions or for group artist exhibitions, please also include artists’ resumes.
- 10 -15 images of work with corresponding numbered image script .
- a numbered image script file or print out that corresponds to the digital or slide images, and that includes the title, date, size and medium of each work listed along with the artist’s name.
- submissions without sufficient SASE will not be returned.
Digital Image Format Details
- Digital Images on CD should be JPEG
- Not be a resolution greater than 300 dpi
- Have a maximum image size of 800 x 600 pixels
- Must be in MS Windows readable format
- Images must be numbered sequentially (1-15) and should include your name. For example Jones001, Jones002, Jones003.
- Video submissions should not be longer than five minutes and must be compatible with MS Windows (PC).
Email submissions will not be accepted.
Please direct all inquiries to: Ben Ahlvers:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 785.843.2787