The Lawrence Arts Center presents approximately 25 exhibitions throughout the year. The program offers a diverse range of creative approaches, mediums, and backgrounds in artists. The Lawrence Arts Center began in 1974. It has been in its current location in downtown Lawrence since 2001. Exhibitions at the Lawrence Arts Center originate from the Exhibitions Staff or from exhibition proposals submitted by outside curators and artists. All submissions should aim to present aesthetically strong shows that can provide the community with the opportunity to explore topics of cultural, artistic, and social relevance.
The curator/artist proposing the exhibition is encouraged to view gallery specifications and see the space during gallery hours to tailor their proposal to the needs of the exhibition space.
Proposal submissions are accepted year-round. All proposals must adhere to the guidelines.
- Résumés should be typed and in 8.5″ x 11″ format in no less than 10-point font. PDF
Group proposals should include all participants’ resumes.
Exhibition Proposal Details
Statement should include a suggested title of your exhibition. Include your name, identify yourself as featured artist or curator, specify solo or group exhibition, and, if the latter, include the names of the other artist(s).
- Describe the concept or theme of the exhibition.
- For artists only: describe your current work and your proposed work, noting any significant new direction your work will take.
- Identify any special equipment or other requirements you may need that may become an impediment to presenting this proposed exhibition.
- Include details of any supplementary public programs or presentations. We encourage participants to also propose additional artist talks, panel discussions, or workshops geared toward engaging the general public. (if applicable)
- Indicate whether the accompanying images are images you are proposing for exhibition, or are representative images only.
File Format: doc, docx, pdf, txt, rtf. Max Size 1MB.
- Attach up to 7 Images
File Format: JPEG, 1 MB
Please direct all inquiries to Ben Ahlvers:
firstname.lastname@example.org / 785.843.2787