Artist INC Lawrence
What is Artist INC? Artist INC is a cutting edge training program that empowers artists to take control of their careers and create opportunities they’ve only imagined. Artist INC addresses the specific business needs and challenges artists of all disciplines face every day. Artist INC has been completed by more than 400 Kansas City artists.
What happens in Artist INC? Gathering for one night a week for eight weeks, participants learn business skills specific to their art practice and how apply those skills cooperatively with their peers. Using a groundbreaking class design, artists learn and grow together through artist facilitator mentoring, small group application activities, as well as large group discussion and multi-media lecture.
Artist INC leverages a class design that focuses on the three major components of adult learning:
- peer networks
The eight week seminar covers:
- The Business Art Paradox, strategic planning and goal setting for your art
- Marketing Your Art (without selling your soul), communicating the message of your art
- Budget is Not a Four Letter Word, managing money and financial planning
- Better Than Pulling Teeth, writing about your work
- Zen and the Law of Art, business structure, intellectual property, and basic legal issues facing artists
- Show Me the Money, finding grants and fellowships and raising capital
- com, understanding the technology artists need to use
- Opening Night: sharing your completed artist’s plan
Participating artists gain:
- tools and skills in arts planning, marketing, finance, law, and technology;
- an increased knowledge of and ability to access local and national art business resources;
- a strategic artist’s plan for pursuing, marketing and sustaining their art; and
- a long-term network of cross-discipline, diverse artists to provide peer learning and support into the future.
How to Apply? Applications are not currently being taken.
Applicants must be:
- at least 18 years old
- live within an 100 mile radius of downtown Lawrence
- be available to attend all sessions of the Artist INC session
- students are ineligible to apply
Applications for Artist INC consist of the following items:
APPLICATION & RESUME: Applicants of all artistic disciplines must complete a narrative application form, submit their resume/CV and digital work sample online through Submittable.com during the open application period.
- Visual Artists: 4 digital images to be submitted online through Submittable.com (limit 1 MB per image)
- Performing Artists, Dancers and Filmmakers: up to 4 minutes of digital video submitted online through Submittable.com
- Writers: up to 8 representative pages submitted online through Submittable.com
- Musicians: up to 4 minutes of digital audio submitted online through Submittable.com
Applicants facing difficulties completing online submissions should contact Lisa Cordes at lisa@ArtistINCkc.com for assistance.
NARRATIVE APPLICATION: The narrative application to be completed online through Submittable.com includes three questions:
- A statement describing your work, your primary motivation for creating work, and your passion for your chosen artistic discipline. (maximum of 500 words)
- What do you want your arts career to look like five years from now? (maximum of 500 words)
- What do you see as key opportunities or challenges relative to your artistic career, and how do you think participation in this seminar will help you to advance as a professional artist? (maximum of 500 words)
ARTIST INC LAWRENCE IS GENEROUSLY FUNDED BY MID-AMERICA ARTS ALLIANCE, THE NATIONAL ENDOWMENT FOR THE ARTS, THE WINDGATE CHARITABLE FOUNDATION, INC., AND THE STATE ARTS AGENCIES OF ARKANSAS, KANSAS, MISSOURI, NEBRASKA, OKLAHOMA, AND TEXAS.
Meet the three artists joining our team this summer teaching classes in ceramics, fiber arts, … [more]
Flowers are in bloom, the air is getting warmer, and summer is right around the … [more]
Do you have a favorite pair of jeans, socks, jacket, or bag that you can’t … [more]
In great gratitude for his generous gift of letterpress equipment, the Lawrence Arts Center celebrates … [more]