Employment | Current Opportunities
Youth Education Coordinator/STEAM Teacher
25 total hours week
- 10 hours of STEAM Monday-Thursday, 4-6pm
- 15 hours of Admin taking place within Monday-Saturday 9am-4pm
Administrative support for Director of Youth Education as well as primary visual arts teacher of STEAM elementary afterschool teacher.
- Digital photography documentation of youth education classes, uploading and organizing Dropbox account, and coordinating material, both written and visual, with marketing.
- Assist with coordinating special projects and partnerships such as the Zinn Project, Boys and Girls Club, USD 497 exhibition and outreach activities, etc.
- Providing event assistance and coordination between key partners of Lawrence Arts Center
- Writing and sending parent, student, and instructor email communications.
- Generating and disseminating written communications in the form of parent/student letters, post class surveys, and blogs.
- Proofing and mail merging all catalog material with use of Excel, Google Sheets, Microsoft Word, and Google Docs
- Managing Google Calendar for all youth visual arts classes.
- Generating and disseminating contracts for instructors and artists
- Assisting with Professional Development opportunities and Contract Staff meetings
- Providing backup support for instructors and students when Directors are offsite
- Other duties as assigned
- Working with Director of Youth Education and STEAM co-teacher to create design thinking challenges for 1st-5thgrade students in a classroom setting
- Providing assistance and coordination between key partners of STEAM program.
- Connecting and scheduling relevant guest speakers in the form of local artists, industry leaders, and gallerists
- Assisting with supply ordering for STEAM students
- Connect with Lawrence Arts Center Marketing team to promote STEAM in the community
- Generating and disseminating parent/student letters, pre/post class surveys, classroom materials, etc.
- Managing the STEAM shared folder on Google Drive, keeping it updated and ensuring Marketing is connecting with photos and materials
- Using technical skills such as photographing artwork, building lesson plans in a team setting, engaging students in challenge based learning, creating representative work, and disseminating results.
Preferred qualifications: Experience and background in elementary arts education is necessary. Experience working in another arts center, museum, or other community setting; experience working with students of a variety of ages and backgrounds; diverse knowledge in a variety of visual art mediums; experience organizing community-based arts experiences are a plus. A strong sense of community, energetic creativity, optimistic attitude, ability to problem solve and multi-task with a commitment to a harmonious team environment are essential. The ideal candidate possesses the optimism, professionalism, flexibility, passion, and dedication to the arts that characterizes the Lawrence Arts Center.
Minimum qualifications: Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Education, Liberal Arts Degree or a Bachelor degree in a closely related field. Excellent communication and organizational skills and experience working in an administrative role. Demonstrated experience with Microsoft Office Suite, Google calendars, Dropbox, WordPress, and various databases.
Compensation: Starts at $16 per hour. Includes one free class per session; any further classes at 50% off. Employees at the Arts Center receive matching 401K at 25 hours per week and healthcare at 30 hours per week.
Please send CV/Resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth Metals Instructor/6 hours per week/ Mondays and Thursdays 3:30-6:30/September 9-December 5
Seeking an instructor to work with upper elementary and middle school students in Metal Arts. Instructor will plan, order supplies, and teach four 6-week classes during the above time frame. Seeking fun, creative instructors with knowledge of the medium and experience with youth education. Compensation for the position is $16/hr for candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree or similar qualification, and $20/hr for candidates with an Master’s Degree or similar qualification, as well as one free class per session.
Youth Digital Art Instructor/7 hours per week/Wednesdays and Thursdays 3-6:30pm/October 23-December 5
Seeking an instructor to work with upper elementary and middle school students in Digital Arts. Instructor will plan, order supplies, and teach four 6-week classes during the above time frame. Seeking fun, creative instructors with knowledge of the medium and experience with youth education. Compensation for the position is $16/hr for candidates with a Bachelor’s Degree or similar qualification, and $20/hr for candidates with an Master’s Degree or similar qualification, as well as one free class per session.
School of Dance
Dance Instructors (part-time, hourly)
The Lawrence Arts Center School of Dance is seeking to hire experienced dance instructors for upcoming classes and other programming opportunities, including substitute teaching.
Cultivating the art of dance within the entire community, our vision is to make dance 100% accessible to all. For over 30 years, the School of Dance’s curriculum has been based on national dance education standards and taught by professionals. Students follow a sequential training program developed to suit age and ability that fosters creativity as well as technique. Focused on developing the artist as well as the art, the School of Dance offers frequent opportunities for performance through numerous and diverse dance productions as well as the pre-professional ballet company, Lawrence Ballet Theatre.
Lawrence Arts Center School of Dance currently offers the following classes:
- Ballet & Pointe
- Boys Ballet
- Classical Chinese Dance
- Hip Hop
- Irish Step Dance
- Kinder Ballet (Little Movers)
- Preschool Dance (Little Movers)
- Wee Dance
- Yoga (family)
Qualified candidates should send a cover letter, resumé, and 2-3 references to:
School of Dance Director
Lawrence Arts Center
Theatre Technicians & Scenic, Lighting and Costume Designers
The Lawrence Arts Center, a 501©3 arts organization providing the Lawrence, Kansas community with contemporary exhibitions, performances, and visual and performing arts education is seeking to hire Theatre Technicians & Scenic, Lighting and Costume Designers.
Send a resume and cover letter to:
Director of Performing Arts
The Lawrence Arts Center
Theatre Technician Job Description
Set up, run, and strike concerts, dance shows, theatre shows, lectures and other events as needed. Build sets, costumes, hang lighting instruments, curtains, run projections, sound and lighting boards.
The number and distribution of hours varies depending on the production schedule. Number of crew needed varies based on the production and performance needs. Theatre Technicians Jobs are part-time, hourly work. Theatre Technicians report to the Production Coordinator & Technical Director of Performing Arts.
- Supervisory experience in technical theatre.
- Familiarity with multiple technical theatre systems, i.e. fly rail, audio, video, lighting, rough carpentry.
- Prior production or theatre experience (wardrobe, lighting, audio, video, and/or fly systems) obtained through coursework, volunteer, or paid work experience.
- Ability to perform physical tasks associated with this occupational group.
- Experience as a light board or sound board operator a plus.
Scenic, Lighting and Costume Designer Job Description
Design, conceive, and realize original set, lighting or costume designs. Work with a professional production team to collaborate and envision designs and plans for theatre productions.
The number and distribution of hours varies depending on the production schedule. Number of designers needed varies based on the production and performance needs. Scenic, lighting and costume designers are hired as a contract artist by production. Designers report to the Production Coordinator and Technical Director of Performing Arts.
- Prior set, lighting or costume design experience obtained through coursework, volunteer, or paid work experience.
- A good working knowledge of production processes.
- The ability to be resourceful and adaptable and be able to solve practical and conceptual problems.
- Supervisory experience in technical theatre and production teams.
- The capacity to manage a design project from start to finish, and to meet tight deadlines