Summer is here and so is our new catalog with a mix of virtual and on-site classes in accordance with Douglas County Health and Safety Guidelines. To learn more about how we are adapting, check out our phased re-opening plan here.
June 1 | Summer Session starts
June 3 | Dear Lawrence: Freedom and Protest
June 18 | T-Shirt and totes order deadline
July 1 | New Dear Lawrence writing prompt TBA
July 3 | 4th of July observed NO CLASS
July 4 | Independence Day NO CLASS
July 27 | Summer Sampler series begins (On-Site Classes!)
August 5 | New Dear Lawrence writing prompt TBA
Totes and Tees: Order by June 18th, Available for Pick-Up Starting July 6th!
Do you love the Lawrence Arts Center and want to show your support for the arts? You can now purchase a new tote bag or T-shirt with our official summer logo, designed by local artist Alicia Kelly.
Tote bags are $12.
T-shirts are $20 and run from adult size XS to 4XL in crew neck, and XS-3XL in v-neck.
*Shirts may shrink when washed, so we recommend sizing accordingly!
We want to know what freedom means to you. Current events, from COVID to the killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, George Floyd, and Tony McDade, have brought into focus the inequity that Americans still face. One way that “we the people” can rise up against injustice is to assert our right to assemble and peacefully protest, to hold our leadership, our communities, and ourselves accountable.
The act of a single person can inspire many. There is power in solidarity, even and especially when change requires introspection, risk-taking, and discomfort. Hopefully, we are already re-evaluating our interpretations of freedom, equity, justice, and prosperity.
To help open up this conversation further, Dear Lawrence, what does freedom mean to you?
Send your story, words, quotes, thoughts, or impressions to: email@example.com.
This prompt will carry through the entire month of June. Please submit stories by Tuesday, June 30th.
There is still time to enroll in our Summer Sampler series! These classes will be held on-site in accordance with Douglas County Health and Safety guidelines. These classes run for four weeks and include:
- 7/27-8/17 | Hoop Earrings with Carly Kimbrough
- 7/27-8/17 | Stitch-Along Artist Aprons with Anne Luben (Virtual Class)
- 7/29-8/19 | Lost Wax Casting with Rachel Sudlow
- 7/29-8/19 | Glazed and Confused with Kyla Strid
- 8/1-8/22 | You Call THAT a Story? with Mary Wharff
- 8/2-8/23 | Open Model with Jeff Ridgway
Don’t have enough time for a four-week class? Try our on-site one- and two-day workshops!
- 8/1 | Mosaic Workshop with Shanna Wagner
- 8/8-8/9 | Screenprint 101: Paper and T-Shirts with Alicia Kelly
- 8/15 | Risograph Workshop with Nicholas Stahl
- 8/15-8/16 | Natural Dyeing Fabrics with Allison Sheldon
Other Course Offerings
- Stained Glass Private Lessons with Shanna Wagner (On-Site). Email firstname.lastname@example.org for details.
- 7/9-7/30 | Baskets, Vases, and Planters with Kyla Strid (Virtual Class – with a Supply Kit)